When going dairy-free, many often forget the classic dairy-less cake: angel food cake! Light, low-fat and suited for a variety of frostings, fruits and other toppings, these are simple dessert ideas for those dairy-freers that are not allergic to eggs.
Makes about 24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 t. cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Move the oven racks to the lowest positions in the oven.
2. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, 3/4 cup sugar and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites with the vanilla and cream of tartar until forming soft-medium peaks, about 3-4 minutes. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, continuing to beat until forming stiff peaks, about 4-6 minutes more. Fold in the dry ingredients, taking care not to overmix and deflate the batter.
4. Portion the batter into the cupcake liners and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before icing, frosting or serving with fruit.