This recipe is substantially healthier than butter-and-meat-based versions, while still delivering the creamy texture and wonderful flavor of the classic sauce. Serve this with buttermilk biscuits or mashed potatoes for a dairy-free take on a classic meal.
Makes about 3 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 1/2 T. vegetable broth powder
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1 15-oz, can garbanzo beans, no-salt-added variety , drained
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain soy yogurt
- 1 t. salt, plus more to taste
- 1 t. black pepper, plus more to taste
1. Combine the vegetable broth powder with the water, mixing to dissolve.
2. Place the garbanzo beans and the vegetable broth mixture in a blender and blend until creamy.
3. Combine the garbanzo mixture, the soy yogurt and the salt and pepper in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heating until desired temperature and thickness. Serve hot.