This is one of my all-time favorite recipes, not to mention an all-time favorite of my friends and family! Prepared with all pantry staple ingredients, these are great for quick-decision sweet cravings, but the dough can also be made up to 1 day in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator.
For strict vegans who do not consume honey, use agave nectar or maple syrup.
Makes about 20 cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 T. dairy-free soy margarine, such as Willow Run
- ¾ cups unsalted peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
- ¾ cups and 2 T. packed organic light brown sugar
- ½ cup honey, agave nectar or maple syrup
- ½ cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cups white flour
- ¾ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. baking powder
- 1/8 t. salt
- White sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the soy margarine until slightly fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the peanut butter, brown sugar, honey and soy yogurt, beating well between additions, until mixture is well combined. Set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well mixed. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Set aside two large ungreased baking sheets.
4. Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and, using your hands, shape the cookies into 2-3” balls and place on the baking sheets, pressing them into disks as you do so. Press the backside of a fork lightly on the surface of the cookies, sprinkling them with sugar if so desired, and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown but still soft. Allow the cookies to sit for 1 minute on the pans after removing from the oven. Transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.