Sometimes referred to as Italian Wedding Cookies, these nutty, rich sweet treats melt in your mouth! Beautiful and beautifully simple, these elegant cookies are perfect for the holidays, but they're easy enough for anytime!
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup finely ground almonds
- 2/3 cup organic confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1 cup dairy-free soy margarine (two sticks), softened
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla extract
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, ground almonds, confectioners' sugar and salt and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer set on a medium speed setting, cream together the margarine with the maple syrup until fluffy. Add the vanilla, beating until just incorporated. Add the dry ingredients in several additions, beating until combined. Divide the dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line two large baking sheets with parchment. Roll about 1 T. of the dough at a time into balls, placing each on the prepared baking sheets as you work. Bake until the edges just begin to brown, about 12-14 minutes. (Don't let them brown all over, as they will dry out very quickly!) Transfer the cookies to wire cooling racks to cool for about 15-20 minutes. Roll cookies in confectioners' sugar to coat and return to the wire cooling racks to cool completely.