Biscotti is not only delicious, but it also makes a great gift. This recipe is a great gift for the fall and winter holidays, pairing sweet cornmeal and dark dairy-free chocolate chips.
Makes about 24 biscotti cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 6 T. dairy-free soy margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 t. lemon juice
- 1 T. fresh finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup raw pine nuts
- 1 cup dark dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In another mixing bowl using and electric hand mixer, cream the soy margarine with the sugar until creamy and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the lemon juice and lemon zest, beating until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, beating until just combined, followed by the pine nuts and chocolate chips.
3. Place the dough on the prepared sheet and, using your hands, pat the dough into two slightly flatted logs about 1-2" thick. Bake until golden brown and slightly cracked, about 35 minutes. Allow the logs to cool for 15 minutes on a wire cooling rack, then, using a serrated knife, cut the logs crosswise into 1/2" thick slices and return to the baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the biscotti is lightly golden brown on the edges, flipping the biscotti once half-way through for even baking. Allow biscotti to cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Biscotti will keep for 1-2 weeks in an airtight container at room temperature.