These cookies are enjoyed by those on the dairy-free diet and milk-drinkers alike, either for a lunchbox treat or an after-dinner dessert with a tall glass of non-dairy milk. For a vegan variation, replace the eggs with 1/4 cup Egg Replacer mixed with 1/3 cup hot water.
Makes about 20 large cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 cup all-vegetable non-dairy shortening, such as Spectrum
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In another medium-sized bowl and using an electric hand mixer at a medium speed setting, cream together the shortening and brown sugar until well combined and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla, and beat until well combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the eggs, mixing until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup, drop cookies onto the prepared sheet, about 2 inches apart, and bake for 20 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown.