Inspired by Gourmet's Soft Mustard Molasses Cookies, this vegan variation is a delightfully complex cookie, with flavors of Dijon mustard and maple. I like to dust my cookies in powdered sugar as directed in the recipe, but feel free to sprinkle coarse sugar or make a simple dairy-free icing for your cooled treats.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. sea salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) dairy-free soy margarine, softened
- 3/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 2 T. Dijon mustard
- 3 T. dairy-free plain or vanilla soy yogurt
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional, but recommended!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In another large mixing bowl, cream the soy margarine with an electric hand mixer until creamy. Add the light brown sugar and beat for another 3-4 minutes, or until the mixture is fluffy. Add the maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and soy yogurt, beating until forming a stiff but soft dough. Spoon the dough about 1 1/2 T. at a time onto the prepared sheet. Bake for about 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool for about 10 minutes on the pan before dusting with powdered sugar and transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.