Biscotti is a versatile biscuit-like sweet treat that is satisfying with morning coffee, as an after-dinner dessert or teatime snack. These twice-baked cookies will keep up to two weeks in an airtight container which makes them ideal for gifts and holiday traveling.
Makes about 32 cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 t. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ t .nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 t . lemon juice
- 1/3 cups candied ginger, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1/3 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, ground almonds, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and lemon juice.
4. Add egg mixture, ginger and chocolate chips to dry ingredients and mix until forming a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a well floured surface, and form into two logs with rounded ends.
5. Bake logs on prepared sheet for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from pans and let rest on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Turn down oven temperature to 300 F.
6. Slice logs diagonally in pieces 1/2"- 1" thick and lay biscotti on their sides on the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping biscotti with a metal spatula half-way through to ensure even baking. Biscotti should be lightly golden but not browned; they will be hard if overbaked. Biscotti will keep up to two weeks in an airtight container.