These sweet, rich lime bars are perfect for the spring and summer months, and unlike most traditional lime or lemon bars, they're 100% dairy-free. If you don't have any coconut on hand, feel free to bake the bars without topping with coconut and then just generously dust your bars with powdered sugar before serving.
Serve these with any warm weather meal, but especially those that need something tart at the finish. Cinco de Mayo, Fourth of July, and any given afternoon are all good reasons to bring these out!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 9"x13" pan of lime squares
- For the crust:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ t. salt
- ¾ (1 ½ sticks) cup dairy-free soy margarine, softened
- For the Filling:
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups plus 1 T. white granulated sugar
- ¾ cups lime juice (preferably fresh)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed sweetened flaked coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9” x 13” baking dish and set aside.
2. Make the crust. In a food processor, process the cashews until very fine. Add the flour, sugar, and salt, and process until well mixed. Add the dairy-free soy margarine and pulse until the mixture just comes together (it will be crumbly). Using your hands, press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Bake the crust for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Allow crust to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before filling.
3. Make the filling. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined. Add the lime juice, whisking to combine, followed by the flour. Pour the filling over the prepared crust and baked for 25 minutes.
4. Carefully, remove the pan from the oven (filling will not be set yet) and sprinkle the flaked coconut evenly over the surface, covering as much of the surface as possible. Return the pan to the oven for 8-10 minutes more, or until the filling is completely set and the coconut is lightly browned. Allow bars to cool in the pan on a wire cooling rack until completely cool before cutting into squares. Chill the bars in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.*This recipe as written is suitable for dairy-free and vegan diets, but as with any recipe intended for persons with dietary restrictions or allergies, make sure to read the ingredients labels on all ingredients to make sure that there are no hidden dairy-derived ingredients or other allergens that apply to you.
Here are some delicious dairy-free entrees that can complete your meal: