While these treats are also wonderful deep-fried, I prefer to bake them serve them with either dairy-free ice cream or dairy-free caramel sauce-- the slightly crisp, light wonton shell complements the rich chocolate filling and the creamy dairy-free ice cream or caramel. To see how to assemble your wontons, check out this step-by-step instructional piece on how to make chocolate wontons.
Makes about 30 wontons
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2/3 cup soymilk powder
- 2/3 cup plain soymilk or almond milk
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup finely ground cashews
- ¼ t. salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 t. vanilla
- About 30 wonton wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ t. cinnamon
- pinch salt
- Dairy-free ice cream or dairy-free caramel sauce, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Place the soymilk powder in a blender or food processor and gradually add the soymilk or almond milk until the mixture blends smooth. Add the cocoa powder, finely ground cashews and salt and blend until mixture is thick. Add the maple syrup, dark chocolate chips and vanilla and blend until the mixture is smooth, adding a bit more almond milk or soymilk if necessary. Set aside.
3. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the edges of one side of a wonton with water. Place about 1 ½ T. of chocolate filling in the center of the wonton. Pinch one corner to the corner diagonal from it, fold up one of the other corners to the center, followed by the other corner. Pinch the edges of the wonton together to seal, making sure to keep your hands dry to prevent the dough from sticking. Repeat with the remaining wontons until all of the filling is used, placing them on the prepared pan as you work.
4. In a small cup or bowl, mix together the sugar, cinnamon and salt. Brush each of the filled wontons lightly with the egg, then sprinkle the sugar mixture onto each wonton, coating well. Place the baking sheet in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the wontons are just golden brown. Serve warm with dairy-free ice cream or dairy-free caramel sauce.