As a native Ohioan, buckeye balls were one of those desserts that seemed to appear at every school party, outdoor celebrations and superbowl parties throughout my childhood. However, even after leaving the MidWest, I still find myself carrying on the tradition with these vegan buckeyes, which keep all of the good ingredients without the dairy products!
Makes about 5 dozen buckeyes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 ounces ( ½ tub) dairy-free cream cheese, such as Tofutti
- 4 cups confectioners sugar, divided
- 1 ½ cups creamy peanut butter
- ½ t. vanilla
- 1 cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- 1 ½ T. all-vegetable shortening
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and place in the freezer.
2. In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat together the dairy-free cream cheese and half of the confectioners sugar until smooth. Add the remaining sugar, peanut butter and vanilla, and continue beating until mixture is well combined and very thick. Using your hands or a melon baler, shape the mixture into balls and place on the prepared pre-chilled baking sheet. Place the sheet in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the dairy-free chocolate chips and shortening in a stainless steel bowl set over several inches of boiling water. Stirring occasionally, heat until the chocolate is completely melted. Remove from heat.
4. Using a toothpick inserted into the center of a peanut butter ball, dip the ball into the warm chocolate, turning to coat the bottom and sides evenly. Transfer the ball back to the baking sheet. Remove the toothpick and repeat with the remaining balls. Return the baking sheet to the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until the chocolate is set. Serve cold or at room temperature.