A tribute to the former food magazine, Gourmet, this recipe is a dairy-free and vegan adaptation of these Mustard Caramel Crunchies with Chocolate Glaze.
Makes 45 to 50 sweets
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 12-ounce bag thin pretzel sticks, divided
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 T. dairy-free soy margarine
- 2 T. full-fat coconut milk
- 16 ounces dark dairy-free chocolate chips
1. Line a 11" x 17" casserole dish with parchment paper, leaving and overhang on all sides. Line the bottom of the dish with about 3/4 of the pretzels, or however many you need to make a single layer in the dish. Set aside.
2.In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar and water, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Using a pastry brush dipped in cold water, wash any crystals from the sides, bring mixture to a boil and cook without stirring, swirling the pan occasionally for even coloring, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture is deep amber in color. Remove the pan from heat, and carefully (mixture will spatter) add the Dijon mustard, soy margarine and coconut milk, stirring until completely combined. Pour the hot caramel evenly over the pretzels in the prepared pan. Set aside until set, about 30 minutes.
3. In a stainless steel bowl set over a small saucepan of boiling water melt the dairy-free chocolate chips. (This can also be done in a double boiler, or, alternatively, the microwave.) Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel pretzels. Crush the remaining pretzel sticks and sprinkle over the top of the chocolate. Chill in the refrigerator until the chocolate has set, about 30 to 45 minutes. Cut into squares and serve!