These chocolate walnut caramels are great for gifts or dairy-free sweet-snacking. Feel free to substitute pecans or other nuts of your choice, though walnuts are always a good idea!
Makes about 40 candies
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups maple syrup
- 2 cups coconut milk, divided
- 1 cup dairy-free soy margarine
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts
- 16 ounces dark dairy-free chocolate
1. Grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish with soy margarine and set aside.
2. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan using a candy thermometer, combine the sugar, maple syrup, 1 cup of the coconut milk and the dairy-free soy margarine. Stir well to dissolve the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, swirling the pan occasionally to mix without stirring. Add the remaining cup of coconut milk and continue to cook without stirring until the mixture reaches 242 F. Remove the mixture form heat and add the vanilla and walnuts, stirring well to evenly distribute. Pour into the prepared dish and place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
3. Once the caramel is cool, cut into one inch candies. Line a large baking sheet with wax paper. In a stainless steel bowl set over a pot of boiling water or in a double boiler, melt the dairy-free dark chocolate. Using two forks, toss the caramels one at a time into the melted chocolate, turing to coat and shaking off the excess. Place on the prepared sheet and repeat with the remaining caramels and chocolate. Allow the candies to cool and set completely before serving.