This recipe is so easy and delicious, not to mention well-suited for a variety of allergies! The success of this recipe really relies on the first step; ideally, you want to process the cashews until they are as powdery as possible-- the mixture will actually begin to stick to the sides of the blender. Feel free to stir in a handful of raw cashews or other nuts for a "chunky" cashew butter variation, or add a tiny bit of maple syrup for a bit of maple flavor.
Makes about 2 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 2 ¼ cups raw unsalted cashews
- 1 T. canola oil or olive oil
- ½ T. fresh orange juice or lemon juice
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ t. - 1 t. agave nectar (optional)
1. In a blender, process the cashews until they resemble a very fine, almost powdery, meal. Add the oil, fresh orange juice and salt, and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the blender, making sure that the mixture is consistent and no clumps remain in the bottom. Blend for 30 seconds more. Test the cashew butter, adding agave nectar or more oil or salt as desired. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.