This recipe is so simple and easy that it can easily be prepared for a weeknight supper, but it's elegant enough for a Thanksgiving or Christmas celebration. Feel free to use whichever dairy-free stuffing you prefer. For fall and winter holidays, I like to use this Cranberry Apple Stuffing or this Basic Dairy-Free Stuffing.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 Recipe Dairy-Free Cranberry Apple Stuffing
- 4 cornish game hens (each about 1 1/2- 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 t. olive oil
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 1 cup maple syrup, preferably Grade B
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Set aside an ungreased rimmed baking sheet.
3. Spoon stuffing into the bird cavities. Using kitchen twine, tie the legs together, tucking the wings underneath the bodies. Rub the hens all over with the olive oil. Lightly season with salt and pepper and place on the baking sheet.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup and mustard until well combined. Brush the hens with the maple-dijon mixture until lightly coated. Roast the hens for 45-50 minutes, brushing with more maple glaze at 15-minute intervals, until a meat thermometer inserted into the the thigh's thickest part registers 165 F and the juices run clear when pierced. Transfer hens to a wooden cutting board for 10-15 minutes to cool slightly before carving. Serve hot with extra stuffing.