This cake is so easy to make--no electric mixer needed! Humble yet flavorful, this cake is perfect for everyday baking and weeknight desserts. To add an extra coffee touch to your cake, frost with this Dairy-Free Coffee Frosting.
Yield: One 9"x13" single-layer cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups white granulated sugar (I prefer unrefined cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or carob powder
- 1 t. salt
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups cold coffee (or room temperature)
- 3/4 cups canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 T. white distilled vinegar
- 2 t. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9"x13" cake pan or casserole dish and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. In another small mixing bowl, whisk together coffee, canola oil, maple syrup, vinegar and vanilla. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredient into the well and fold into the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Pour into the prepared dish and bake for 30=40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. All the cake to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before icing with your favorite Dairy-Free Frosting.