What's better than an apple cake other than a vegan apple cake? This recipe is so easy to make, but it's always such a pleasure to serve; vegan apple cake is always a crowd pleaser. While I prefer to use this Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting for this recipe, feel free to use whatever dairy-free frosting suits your fancy!
Makes one 8" 3-layer apple cake
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 baking powder
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/4 cup finely ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) dairy-free soy margarine, melted
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 t. white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup chopped apple pieces
- 1 1/2 cup coarsely grated apple
- 1 Recipe Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly oil and flour 3 parchment-lined 8" round cake pans and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the clour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the finely ground flax seeds with the water. Let stand for 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Add the melted soy margarine, brown sugar, and vinegar, and whisk until well combined. Add the wet ingredients and the apple pieces and grated apple to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean, about 35 minutes. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for about 20 minutes, then invert the cakes onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
4. Layer cakes with Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting and serve!