Raw desserts are refreshing, healthy sweets that are so easy to make as they require absolutely no cooking or baking, which makes them ideal for the summer months or large dinners when the oven and stove will be occupied with other dishes. This recipe calls for raw macadamia nuts for the frosting as they produce an unbelievably rich cream, but if these are not available, raw cashews work wonderfully as well.
Makes one 9" cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups finely ground raw almonds
- ½ t. salt
- ½ cup finely chopped Mejool dates
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- For the Filling:
- 1 lb. Carrots, finely chopped
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen pineapple, thawed
- 1/3 cup finely ground raw cashews
- For the Frosting:
- 1 1/3 cups finely ground raw macadamia nuts
- 2 cups finely chopped Mejool dates
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1. Line the bottom of a 9” spring-form pan with parchment paper.
2. Make the crust. In a food processor, blend the almonds, salt, dates, and maple syrup until creamy. Mix in the sunflower seeds and press into the prepared pan. Place the pan in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before adding the filling.
3. Make the filling. In a food processor, blend the carrots, pineapple and cashews until just combined. Spread the mixture on top of the crust layer and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4. Make the frosting. In a blender or food processor, blend the ground macadamia nuts, dates, lemon juice and maple syrup until creamy. Spread over the filling and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. Serve cold.