Makes one 2-layer cake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 T. almond milk, soymilk or rice milk
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6 T. dairy-free soy margarine, melted
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil one 9” cake pan. Lightly flour the pan, tapping out the excess flour, and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until the mixture is pale yellow in color. Add the non-dairy milk alternative of your choice, olive oil, melted soy margarine, lemon juice and zest, whisking until well combined. Add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Immediately turn cake out onto a wire cooling rack and allow cake to cool, right-side up, completely before icing with dairy-free frosting of your choice.