This cake is great for kids' birthday parties, as it is not only lactose-free, but soy-free and nut-free as well to accomodate a variety of allergies, intolerances and diets.
To frost a layer cake, allow the cakes to cool completely before leveling the tops of the cakes using a serrated knife. (It is often a good idea to place the cakes in the freezer for 20-30 minutes before icing to prevent crumbs.) Place one cake bottom-side down, spread with dairy-free frosting of your choice, then top with the other cake, bottom-side up. Using an offset spatula, frost the top and sides of the cake.
Makes 1 8" layer cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 ¾ cups white flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1 ½ cups soy-free and dairy-free shortening, such as Spectrum
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup rice or almond milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 T. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil two 8” round cake pans and dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer at a high speed setting, cream the shortening with the sugar until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well in between each addition. Add the rice milk, maple syrup and vanilla, beating until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir the dry ingredients into the wet in several additions until just combined.
4. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for 30-40 minutes, rotating half-way through, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting with dairy-free frosting of your choice (see head note).
**This recipe is suitable for dairy-free and lactose-free diets, but as with any recipe intended for persons with allergies or dietary restrictions, make sure to read all nutritional labels carefully to make sure that there are no hiddendairy-derived ingredients (or other allergenic ingredients, if these apply to you).