This yellow cake recipe is perfect for dairy-free birthday cakes, cakes for school parties, or everyday cakes. Feel free to frost with whatever dairy-free frosting suits the occasion.
Yield: 3 8" cake layers
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1 1/2 cup dairy-free soy margarine
- 2 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 1/2 cup dairy-free sour cream
- 1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and lightly flour 3 8" cake pans. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder and salt until well mixed. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, mix the dairy-free soy margarine until creamy. Add the sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes on a high speed until well mixed and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, mixing thoroughly with each addition until all the yolks have been added and the mixture is well-mixed.
4. In a small bowl, mix together the soy milk, dairy-free sour cream, and vanilla. Add the soy milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture in several additions alternating with additions of the flour mixture until all of the flour mixture and all of the soy milk mixture has been added to the egg yolk mixture. Mix until well combined, then portion into the three prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops of the cakes spring back when touched. Allow cakes to cool in the pans on wire cooling racks for about 20 minutes before turning out on to the cooling racks to cool completely before frosting.