For birthdays, holidays, potlucks, and everyday celebrations, this vegan yellow cake is a great go-to dessert, and it goes well with a variety of dairy-free frostings, from Dairy-Free Buttercream Frosting to Vegan Chocolate Frosting.
Makes one 8" layer cake or one 9"x13" sheet cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) soy margarine
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 T. white granulated sugar
- 8 ounces dairy-free soy sour cream (I use Tofutti's Sour Supreme)
- 1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 2 t. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Egg Replacer powder whisked with 1/3 cup warm water until gooey
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil and flour two 8" spring-form pans and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the dairy-free soy margarine until creamy. Add the sugar and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the mixture is aerated and fluffy. Add the soy sour cream, vanilla, lemon juice, and Egg Replacer mixture and beat until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
3. In another mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in several additions, alternating with the coconut milk, until all of the ingredients have been added. Pour the batter into the prepared pans, dividing the batter evenly between the two pans. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. Cool the cakes in the pan for 10 minutes on a wire cooling rack, then run a lightly oiled knife around the edges to loosen the cakes from the pans. Allow the cakes to cool completely before removing from pans and layering with dairy-free frosting of your choice.