Most chocolate bundt cake recipes call for tons of dairy-derived ingredients, usually in the form of butter and sour cream. But dairy-freers and those allergic to lactose, rejoice! This moist chocolaty cake is totally dairy-free and so delicious.
A note on audience: this is a very "adult" cake. Although kids have definitely tried this cake over the years and some have really enjoyed it, most kids under the age of ten usually just ended up picking off the ganache because the coffee and bourbon flavors just weren't their thing yet. Generally, I like to prepare this cake for adult occasions like New Year's Eve parties and office parties, and I never have any to take home!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 1 10" bundt cake
- For the Cake:
- 1 cup good quality cocoa powder (such as Valrhona), plus more for dusting pan
- 1 1/2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup bourbon or other American whiskey
- 1 cup (2 sticks) dairy-free soy margarine
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark dairy-free chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks
- For the Topping:
- 1 Recipe Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Ganache
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly oil a 10-inch bundt cake pan and dust well with a few tablespoons of cocoa powder. Set aside.
2. In a medium-size saucepan, combine the 1 cup cocoa powder, coffee, bourbon, and soy margarine over medium heat, whisking the mixture until the soy margarine has completely melted. Remove the pan from heat. Add the sugar and whisk vigorously until the sugar is dissolved, then transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Set the mixture aside to cool slightly for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small mixing bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract. Once the cocoa-sugar mixture has cooled, add the egg mixture and whisk until well combined. Add the flour mixture and whisk until just combined (there may still be a few lumps and mixture will appear slightly runny). Fold in the dairy-free chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks, if using) until evenly distributed.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back slightly when touched. Allow cake to cool for 1-2 hours in the pan on a wire cooling rack. Using a kitchen knife, loosen the cake from the sides of the pan and invert onto the wire cooling rack.
5. Prepare the Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Ganache according to the recipe. Allow ganache to cool for about 3 minutes after preparing, then drizzle over the top of the cake, allowing the ganache to run down the sides. Allow ganache to set (about 15 minutes to half an hour), then serve.
- This is a good "make-ahead" cake, as the intense flavors actually will deepen if you make the cake 1 day in advance. Store the cake in a cake-keeper at room temperature if making the cake a day before serving, or store the cake in the refrigerator for up to 3 days before serving. (If you decide to refrigerate your cake, be sure to allow it to come to room temperature before serving.)