This decadent bundt cake is dairy-free, but you'd never know by tasting it! Prepared with dairy free sour cream, soy milk, and canola oil, this recipe is a heart-healthier alternative to traditional bundt cake and pound cake recipes but doesn't sacrifice on richness or flavor. And it's super easy to make; just whip up the batter, pour it in the pan, and top it off with a delicious chocolate glaze or Vegan Ganache after it cools.
A word to the wise: if you've never been good at oiling and flouring your cake pans, bundt cakes will teach you the hard way; a poorly oiled bundt cake pan will give you the hardest time when you try to turn out your cake. To avoid this, make sure to oil the pan thoroughly--taking care to get all of the cracks and crevices--and then flour, tapping out the excess.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 1 bundt cake, about 12 servings
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk or other dairy-free milk alternative
- 1/2 cup dairy-free sour cream, such as Tofutti
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, washed and patted dry
- Chocolate Glaze (recipe below) or 1 Recipe Vegan Ganache
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly oil and flour a 12-cup bundt pan and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined. Set aside. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the soy milk and dairy-free sour cream until well mixed. Set aside.
3. In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and the sugar until pale yellow in color. Add the canola oil and vanilla extract and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and well mixed. In several additions, add the flour mixture alternating with the soy milk mixture, and beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Once the mixture is just combined, fold in the dairy-free chocolate chips and raspberries.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and bake until the top springs back when touched, 55 to 60 minutes. Let the pan cool for 30-45 minutes on a wire cooling rack, then gently loosen the cake from the sides of the pan with a knife and invert the cake onto the wire cooling rack to cool completely. Once the cake is completely cool, top the cake with Vegan Ganache or Chocolate Glaze (recipe below).
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the soy milk and prepared espresso in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until the top of the mixture just begins to steam but doesn't boil. Pour the hot liquid over the dairy-free chocolate and let stand for 2-3 minutes. Add the dairy-free soy margarine and stir, making quick, small circles in the center of the dish and working your way out, until the mixture is smooth and has a sheen on its surface. Let glaze stand, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Pour over the cooled bundt cake and serve.