It might surprise you, but Angel Food Cake is naturally dairy-free and low-fat, which is why it's perfect for persons with allergies and intolerances to dairy as well as those counting calories. Oh, and it's really delicious, too!
What's the Angel Food Cake's secret? Egg whites! Egg whites, which are both fat-free and dairy-free, give this cake its lift and light, sweet texture without using traditional rising agents like baking soda, baking powder or fattening egg yolks. In fact, fat and dairy have no place in an Angel Food Cake--not even on the pan.
For cupcakes, try these Angel Food Cupcakes.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 10" Angel Food Cake
- 12 large egg whites (or about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 1 t. cream of tartar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- Strawberry Sauce, for serving (recipe below)
- Vanilla Dairy-free Ice Cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, sift together the confectioners' sugar in a medium-sized bowl until well combined. Set aside.
3. Add the vanilla extract, cream of tartar and salt to the egg whites. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites mixture on slow speed for 2 minutes. Turn up the speed to a medium speed setting and begin gradually adding the sugar, beating continuously until the sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Turn off the mixer, and using a spatula, gradually fold in the flour-confectioners' sugar mixture into the egg whites, about 1/4 cup at a time until all has been incorporated.
4. Gently spoon the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched or a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake (between the outer wall and the inner wall of the pan) emerges clean. Invert the cake pan onto a cooling rack and allow the cake to cool for at least 1 hour before removing the cake from the pan. Serve Angel Food Cake with Strawberry Sauce (recipe below) and your favorite vanilla Dairy-Free Ice Cream.
To Make Strawberry Sauce Topping:
- 1. Combine the chopped strawberries, sugar and lime juice in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, stirring often to dissolve the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the stove heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and serve warm or cold with angel food cake.