These cinnamon pop tarts are so good, they taste like the real thing. Best of all, they're dairy-free and vegan! Feel free to decorate these with sprinkles or a generous amount of brown sugar.
Makes 6 large pop tarts or 12 average
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- For the Dough
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) dairy-free soy margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup cold plain soy milk, plus more if needed
- For the Filling
- 1 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 T. flour
- 1 T. ground cinnamon
- 3-4 T. lemon juice
- For the Icing
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 T. light brown sugar
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 T. plain dairy-free soy yogurt
- 1 T. plain soy milk, plus more as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Make the dough. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, cut in the soy margarine until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the soy milk gradually, mixing until the dough just comes together and is neither sticky nor crumbly and dry.
3. Make the tarts. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until 1/8" thick into a large rectangle. Using a lightly floured pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12 equal rectangles. Using a lightly floured spatula, transfer 6 of the rectangles to the prepared sheet.
4. Make the filling. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugars, flour and cinnamon until well combined. Add the lemon juice and mix until well combined and thickened. Spoon about 2-3 T. of the filling to the middle of the rectangles, leaving about 1/4" border around the filling. Place the remaining rectangles on top and gently pinch the edges, crimping until sealed. (You can dab a bit of water on the corners if this helps.) Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Transfer the pan to a wire cooling rack, and allow the tarts to cool for 10-15 minutes before icing.
5. Meanwhile, make the icing. In a mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, combine the powdered sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the soy yogurt and soy milk 1 T. at a time until the mixture is smooth, adding soy milk as necessary (I usually only need about 1-3 T). After the tarts have cooled for 10-15 minutes, ice the tops with the icing and allow to cool completely. Freeze and then re-toast pastries in the toaster when ready to enjoy, or just enjoy at room temperature!