These flatbreads are really easy and fun. Healthier than traditional pestos, this dairy-free pesto uses nutritional yeast instead of parmesan.
Makes 6 flatbreads
- 1 .25-ounce package active dry yeast
- 1 cup and 3 T. warm water
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 t. salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 3 T. plain unsweetened soy yogurt
- 4- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 2 t. garlic powder, for sprinkling
- 1 Recipe Dairy-Free Pesto
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Let the mixture sit until foamy, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the sugar, mixing to dissolve. Add the salt, soy yogurt and just enough flour to form a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface or until elastic. Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl in a warm place, cover, and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
2. Lightly oil a baking tray. After the dough has doubled, punch down and separate into six small balls. Knead each slightly, then place on the prepared sheet, cover lightly with a towel and let rise for another 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the grill to high heat and preheat the broiler.
4. Roll each ball into an 8" disc and brush lightly with oil. Grill for about 2-3 minutes on each side, sprinkling with salt and garlic powder. After both sides have been browned, brush one side with the pesto and return the flatbreads to the baking sheet. Place the pan in the broiler for about 3 minutes, or until the pesto is just barely bubbly and the edges are golden brown. Serve hot.