The king of quick breads, banana bread is always a welcome treat at breakfast or tea time. While most banana bread recipes contain dairy and eggs, this vegan variation uses neither but is still moist and delicious. Feel free to add walnuts, raisins or dark dairy-free chocolate chips to dress up your bread!
Makes 1 9"x5" loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups white granulated sugar (I prefer unrefined cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 3/4 t. salt
- 3/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk or almond milk
- 1 t. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mashed banana, from about 4 large very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- Walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugars, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the soy milk and cider vinegar and let stand for 2 minutes. Add the mashed banana, canola oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, whisking until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined (do not overmix!). Fold in the walnuts if using and pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. Allow the bread to cool on a wire cooling rack for 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.