These olive oil crackers are great homemade crackers for vegans, dairy-freers and anyone who loves homemade crackers. While I prefer to use Hawaiian sea salt and black sesame seeds for an exotic twist, feel free to simply use coarse salt for your crackers!
Makes about 40 large crackers
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups semolina flour
- 2 1/2 t. salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 2/3 cups olive oil
- Corn Meal, for dusting pans
- Hawaiian sea salt, for sprinkling
- Black sesame seeds, for sprinkling
1. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flours and salt, creating a well in the center. Add the water and olive oil to the well and mix from the sides of bowl, pulling the dry ingredients into the well, until forming a soft (but not sticky) dough. Form the dough into four discs, wrap each in plastic, and let rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Lightly oil two large baking sheets and dust lightly with corn meal.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the discs into large rectangles, one at a time, until very thin. Carefully transfer the rectangle to one of the baking sheets. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut the crackers into desired shapes and sizes. Poke the crackers gently with a fork (this will prevent air bubbles). Lightly spray or sprinkle the dough with water and sprinkle with the Hawaiian sea salt and black sesame seeds. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and allow crackers to cool slightly on the pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack. Once cool, crackers will keep in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.