This energy-packed recipe is so easy to make, and requires no baking! Whether you decide to wrap the bars in individual wrappings and take them on a hike or just keep them in the fridge for a post-workout boost, these are a delicious way to keep you going throughout your busy day.
I prefer to use a basic organic crispy rice cereal from the bulk section of my local health food store, but any crispy (not "puffed") rice cereal that is dairy-free will do.
Makes 16 to 20 bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 5 cups dairy-free crispy rice cereal (see Head Note)
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 1/3 cup finely chopped dates
- ¾ cups dark, dairy-free chocolate chips, divided
- ¼ t. salt
- 2/3 cups soymilk powder
- ¾ cup honey or agave nectar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cups tahini
- 1 t. vanilla extract
1. Lightly grease a 9” x 13” baking dish with dairy-free soy margarine or oil, or, alternative, line with parchment paper. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the crispy rice cereal, rolled oats, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, dates, ¼ cup of the dairy-free chocolate chips and salt. Set aside.
2. Place the soymilk powder in a small heat-proof bowl and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the honey, brown sugar, tahini, vanilla and the remaining chocolate chips. Stirring constantly, cook until the chocolate chips have just melted, the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is combined, about 1-2 minutes. (Alternatively, you can simply place a heatproof bowl in the microwave and microwave the mixture until just melted.) Gradually mix the tahini-chocolate mixture into the soymilk powder, stirring vigorously to avoid clumping.
4. Pour the tahini-chocolate mixture into the rice cereal mixture, mixing well until evenly distributed. Using your hands or a wooden spoon, press the mixture into the prepared dish. Cut the mixture into bars while still in the pan and still warm. Allow the bars to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before removing from the pan with a spatula. Serve at room temperature or cold. Bars will keep for 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at room temperature.