Sweet and tangy, this favorite quick bread fuses the flavors of berries with lemon and cinnamon, for a sweet-tart-spicy combination that's irresistable! To keep your berries from "sinking" to the bottom of the loaf, be sure to beat your eggs until frothy, which will keep the berries suspended just long enough to bake into the loaf!
Makes one 9" x 5" loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 2/3 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 cups fresh blueberries or other berries of choice
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9” x 5 “ loaf pan.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer or a wire whisk, beat together the oil, sugar, eggs, egg yolk and lemon juice until pale yellow and frothy.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt until well combined. Add the dry mixture and the almond milk to the egg-sugar mixture, alternating between the dry ingredients and the almond milk until all of both have been added. Using a wooden spoon or a large spatula, carefully fold in the walnuts and blueberries.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean. Cool on a wire wrack in the pan for 10-15 minutes before removing and returning to the rack to finish cooling. Dust with powdered sugar while still warm and serve warm or at room temperature.