Beer bread is an incredibly flavorful, rich quickbread that's great for celebrations like Mardi Gras and St. Patrick's day, but it is also wonderful alongside a hearty stew or chili for a comforting meal. I prefer using Guinness or a dark stout, but feel free to use your favorite beer.
Makes one 9"x5" loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 ½ cups white all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat bread flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ T. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 12 oz. bottle (or 1 ½ cup s) dark beer of choice
- 3 T. canola oil
- 1 T. honey
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly oil a 9” x 5” loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. In a small bowl, combine the beer, oil and honey until just combined. In three additions, stir the liquid ingredients into well of the dry ingredients, mixing until forming a thick dough. Spread the dough into the prepared pan and bake until the loaf is golden brown and springs back slightly when pressed, about 45-55 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.