Many people who don't bake on a regular basis are often intimidated by baking breads, but this banana bread recipe is so easy that I call it my "fool-proof" quick bread recipe. It is by no means low in fat, but it is a wonderful treat!
Makes two 9" x 5" loaves
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking soda
- ¼ t. salt
- ¾ cups (1 ½ sticks ) soy margarine, such as Willow Run
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 large eggs
- 7 large over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/3 cup finely ground walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Use soy margarine or oil to grease two 9" x 5" loaf pans.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, cream together the soy margarine and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla, beating until combined. Using a wooden spoon, fold in the dry ingredients and the ground walnuts until just combined (do not over-mix).
4. Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the loaves comes out clean, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Transfer loaves to a wire cooling rack to cool slightly before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.