The perfect breakfast or tea time treat during the summer months when zucchini is in season, this vegan zucchini bread recipe is also healthier than recipes that call for butter and eggs. (Which is a good thing in my house; this bread goes quickly!)
I prefer to make my zucchini breads in mini loaf pans instead of standard, but I've made this recipe using both and have always loved the results. (I like the smaller loaf pans for quick everyday baking, but I like the large loaf pans for gifts.) Whichever pan size you choose and whether or not you decide to use the crumble topping, you'll love this recipe!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 mini loaves or 2 standard
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 3/4 t. baking powder
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy milk or other dairy-free milk substitute
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- OPTIONAL: 1 Recipe Crumble Topping (recipe below)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans with dairy-free soy margarine or oil. Set aside. (To make 2 9"x5" loaves: Preheat the oven to 325 F and lightly grease the pans.)
2. Prepare the batter. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and ground cinnamon until well mixed. Set aside. In another mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, oil, soy milk, and vanilla extract for a minute or two or until the mixture is syrupy and comes together. (It will still separate slightly.) Add the wet ingredients to the dry, along with half of the grated zucchini. Mix until well combined, then fold in the remaining grate zucchini.
3. Portion the batter into the prepared loaf pans, filling the pans about 3/4 of the way full. If using the option crumble topping (recipe below): sprinkle the topping evenly over the surface of the batter.
4. Bake the loaves! For the mini loaves: bake at 350 F for about 40-45 minutes, or until the loaves are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf emerges clean. For 9"x5" loaves: bake at 325 F. for 70-80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves emerges clean. Allow loaves (whatever size!) to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before removing from the pans.
Optional Crumble Topping:
1.In a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon until well mixed. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, cut in the dairy-free soy margarine until the mixture resembles large crumbs. Use to top vegan zucchini loaves before baking!