This vegan banana bread is always a favorite among vegans and non-vegans alike, and it's great for dairy-free kids or those allergic to lactose, too!
Makes one 9"x5" loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- For the Bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups white granulated sugar (I prefer unrefined cane sugar)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 3/4 t. salt
- 3/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk or almond milk
- 1 t. apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups mashed banana, from about 4 large very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- For the Icing:
- 2 T. plain soy milk or almond milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9"x5" loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugars, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the soy milk and cider vinegar and let stand for 2 minutes. Add the mashed banana, canola oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract, whisking until well combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined (do not overmix!). Fold in the walnuts and pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean.
4. Meanwhile, make the icing. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the warm soy milk and vanilla until combined. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, mixing until smooth and syrupy. Pour the glaze over the bread immediately after it comes out of the oven. Allow the bread to cool on a wire cooling rack for 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.