Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8-10 scones
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free soy milk
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/8 t. ground ginger
- 1/8 t. salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick)cold dairy-free soy margarine, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger, plus 1 additional piece per scone for garnish
- 3 T. candied lemon peel (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
2. In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together the soy milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, knife or your fingers, cut in the dairy-free soy margarine until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the candied ginger and lemon peel (if using) until evenly distributed throughout. Add the soy-lemon mixture, stirring until the mixture just holds together. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough into a soft ball. Place on the baking sheet and flatten the ball into a circle about 8-9 inches in diameter. Using a sharp knife, cut 8-10 equal wedges into the dough, but not quite all the way through. Top each wedge with a piece of candied ginger and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
4. Bake for 20-25, or until golden brown. Let scones cool on a wire cooling rack before serving.