This recipe takes a little bit of preparation, but it's actually very simple, despite the list of ingredients! Feel free to add in other vegetarian proteins and vegetables to your fried rice to make it your own!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4-6 entree servings
- For the tofu:
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu (NOT Silken!), pressed
- 2 T. sesame oil
- For the Fried Rice:
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 t. curry powder
- 2 t. white granulated sugar
- 2-4 T. canola oil or vegetable oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. grated ginger
- 1 Thai chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 5 cups cooked jasmine rice
- 1 cup baby corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced into sixths
- 1 1/2 cup sweet Thai basil leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Prepare the tofu. Cut the pressed tofu into cubes or triangles about 1" thick. Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the tofu, and cook, gently flipping to cook all sides, until the tofu is golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer tofu to a plate and set aside.
2. Prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, curry powder, and sugar until well combined. Set aside.
3. Prepare the rice. Heat 2 T. of canola oil in the large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and chili, and cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Add the scallions and carrots, and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add 1 T. of canola oil, followed by the cooked rice, baby corn and peas. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Drizzle the soy sauce mixture over the rice, stirring to incorporate. Cook for about 3 minutes longer, stirring often. Add the broccoli florets, tomatoes, and basil leaves, stirring to incorporate, and cook for 3-4 minutes longer, or until the broccoli is bright green and the rice begins to make popping sounds in the pan. Remove from heat.
4. Gently stir in the fried tofu, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.