This easy-to-make weeknight rice and beans recipe is one of my go-to vegan recipes for simple, hearty-yet-healthy dinners and lunches. Serve this dish on its own, in a salad, in a taco or burrito, and be creative! Look through all of my suggested variations below the recipe for ideas or just add in fresh veggies that you have on hand to make something nutritious, delicious, and yet super simple and fresh.
This recipe is suitable for dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, and vegan diets, but as with any recipe intended for persons with allergies, make sure to read the nutritional labels on all ingredients to ensure that there are no hidden dairy-derived ingredients (or gluten or wheat ingredients, if you're gluten-free).
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 10 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded dairy-free cheese, such as Daiya
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well in cold water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 t. sea salt, plus more to taste
1. Prepare the rice. Bring the 10 cups water to boil over high heat in a large pot. Meanwhile, place the rice in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water for about a minute, swirling the rice with your hand to ensure even rinsing. Once the water is at a full boil, carefully add the rice, and stir once. Turn the heat down to medium-high and cook the rice at a boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Carefully pour the rice into a strainer and drain the excess liquid from the rice for 10 seconds, giving the strainer one good shake. Return the rice to the pot off the heat, cover, and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the dairy-free cheese until evenly distributed. Gently stir in the kidney beans, freshly chopped cilantro, and sea salt. Cover the pan and return it to low heat for five minutes. Serve, adding more salt to taste if desired.