Baked tofu is simple to make and healthy, and it can be used in so many kinds of dishes. Serve baked tofu with steamed veggies and rice, make a baked tofu sandwich layered with veggies and spreads, serve it over a salad, or just eat it as it is!
NOTE: this recipe calls for Chinese-style extra firm tofu, which is the kind of tofu that you'll find water-packed in a refrigerated section of the grocery store. Silken tofu, the kind that usually comes in 12.3-ounce boxes and can be stored on the shelf or in the fridge, will not work for this recipe. Confused? Read more about the different kinds of tofu.
Prep Time: 4 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours, 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb. Chinese-style extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 T. dark sesame oil (often referred to as toasted sesame oil)
- 1 T. minced garlic
- 1 t. minced fresh ginger
- 2 T. white sugar (or, alternatively, agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
1. Slice the pressed tofu horizontally into sixteen pieces (each will be about 1/4 " thick), then slice lengthwise down the middle so that you have about 32 2-inch squares. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sugar and sesame seeds, stirring until well mixed. Pour a small amount of the mixture into a casserole dish or baking dish. Place all of the tofu squares into the dish in a single layer, then pour the remaining marinade over the tofu. Place the pan in the refrigerator and allow tofu to marinate for 4 hours to overnight, flipping the tofu once to twice to make sure that it evenly marinates.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet or baking pan and, using a spatula, transfer the marinated tofu onto the pan, spacing the pieces so that they do not touch one another. Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping once half-way through, or until the tofu reaches the desired texture. (The longer you bake the tofu, the firmer, denser, chewier, and crispier it will become; the less you bake it, the softer it will be.) Allow tofu to cool for a minute or two on the pan before serving. Serve hot or cold.